Between juggling a career, having a life, and possibly even kids, we can all agree that there are not enough hours in a day. The reality is that life is stressful, but when it gets the best of you, it can greatly affect your physical and emotional well-being. When stress begins to stress you out, here are some tips to help you de-stress and get your wellness back on track this spring:
- Stay organized by making daily to-do lists. With the completion of each task, you will feel a greater sense of accomplishment and relief.
- The easiest way to take off a load of stress is to avoid unnecessary stress.
- If you’re a perfectionist, understand that there is no such thing as perfect. Set reasonable standards and do what you can. If you have deadlines, don’t procrastinate!
- If there are people in your life that stress you out, take a step back from them.
- Don’t ‘bite off more than you can chew’ in all aspects of your life.
- Don’t resort to caffeine for a quick ‘pick-me-up.’ Although you might think you need multiple coffees to keep you going throughout the day, it could actually result in a midday crash. Reducing your caffeine consumption will not only make you feel more relaxed, but you’ll sleep better too.
- Don’t bottle everything up. Talking about your day with someone can be good for you.
- Give your phone a break. Spend a solid hour per day away from your phone and all technology (if possible). Having to reply to seemingly never-ending messages can add stress and make it harder to unwind. Live in the moment instead of living on your phone.
- Learn to enjoy and appreciate the little things in life, like a good cup of jo on a cold day.
- Some ‘me’ time may be in order. It’s important to find time for yourself when you’re always on the go. Do something that makes you feel happy a couple of times a week. Whether it’s working out, or getting a well-deserved massage.