We spend a good portion of our days sitting; you’re probably even doing it right now. The way we sit and the amount of time we spend sitting, can impact the condition of our spines and our overall health in a variety of ways. Here are some of the most common health problems sitting incorrectly can cause and how you can improve your posture to prevent them.
- Can cause a strained neck, resulting in stiffness and headaches.
- May increase tension, resulting in a frequently sore back and shoulders.
- Long-term effects may cause damage to your spinal disks.
- Can result in a loss of flexibility in your back.
- May result in weakened muscles over-time, providing less support for your back to hold itself upright.
How to Sit Up Properly
- Keep upright! Try to avoid slouching into your chair, the straighter you can keep your spine, the better.
- Keep both feet in front of you. Plant them firmly on the floor; avoid crossing your legs or any position that restricts blood flow.
- When sitting at a table or desk for any length at time, ensure that your elbows are rested at a 90-degree angle.
- Keep your arms close to your shoulders when possible.
- Shoulders should be relaxed, lowered and pushed back.
- Try your best to not lean forward or contort your back and neck when reading or writing.
Sitting for any length of time is unavoidable, we sit in transit, at work, and at home. Next time you’re sitting for any period of time, take a minute to be aware of your posture and make an active choice to correct it. In time, it will be a healthy habit you won’t even think twice about!Tags: posture, sitting, spine damage